As documented already, the big news of the day is obviously the three way deal between the Yanks, Tigers, and D'Backs. It's pretty amazing to me that Brian Cashman seemed to be almost complacent coming into these meetings, but he's been the one to pull the trigger twice so far. Today's trade was aces, though. While I hated to see Austin Jackson go before giving him a shot at the majors, especially after hearing about him nonstop for the past few years, I'm a fan of Curtis Granderson. What he can do in this line-up is potenially scary. Sure, he had an off-year, but there was a general offness surrounding the Tigers as a whole this season. Now he's coming to the World Champions who'll give him his best chance to earn a championship. He'll be surrounding by positive veterans who will certainly help, and that short porch won't be so bad for him neither. And again, Ian Kennedy and Phil Coke weren't deal breakers in this, nice players, but not deal breakers. Afterall, initial rumors had Detroit asking for Joba or Hughes, but that wasn't happening, and they got Scherzer instead. Better the D'Backs pay than the Yanks from where I'm sitting.
There wasn't much else of real note going on in Day Two, although rumors continue circulate. Hideki Matsui seems to be drawing interest from both the Angels and White Sox to sit in the DH spot, but in the wake of the Granderson deal I actually feel like he has a better opportunity now to stay with the Yankees. I say this because he'll be asking for less than Johnny Damon, and I can see New York now giving Damon a take it or leave it contract. In my opinion Damon will go elsewhere if the money is there, and Matsui, a more loyal soldier, returns. Personally, I'd hate to see Godzilla in another uniform.
Rafael Soriano has given the Braves clearance to trade him. This poses many possible landing places, and since they are on a roll, I wonder if Brian Cashman can send Atlanta Melky Cabrera for him? Maybe that's too low a price, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The Braves, though, are also looking at Xavier Nady to fill an outfield spot, now especially bare since they DFA'ed Ryan Church.
In an interesting and crazy rumor, the Rangers apparently offered the Marlins Justin Smoak and Neftali Feliz for Josh Johnson. Crazy because Florida said no! Those are two of the highest ranked prospects in all of baseball! If the Marlins can't work out a long term deal with Johnson, they're never going to live down this denial. They are also still shopping Dan Uggla and Matt Lindstrom. If I were the Mets I'd look into this.
Speaking of New York's other team, I've also learned today that the Mets are apparently in on every pitcher on Earth, but if they're lucky, will probably end up with Joel Pineiro and Jason Marquis. Meanwhile on the catching front, they are still hot for Bengie Molina, but Yorvit Torrealba is once again on their radar, although he seems like inches away from resigning with Colorado. Darren Oliver could be making his way back to Flushing, and yet another rumor has John Maine going to the Brewers for Corey Hart, which isn't a bad trade. Both guys are coming off down years, and a change would do them both good. Maine would be reunited with former pitching coach Rick Peterson, how sweet. Seriously, though, an outfield of Beltran, Francoeur, and Hart wouldn't be too bad, would it?
Lastly, the Phillies bolstered their bench with Ross Gload. Nice pick-up there, the guy is a pinch hitting machine! And that's all for tonight. Be sure to check out the first column from "The Stats Lab", up now, and we'll be back tomorrow with more from the Winter Meetings.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
WINTER MEETINGS DAY TWO RECAP
Labels:
Austin Jackson,
BRAVES,
D'BACKS,
FREE AGENTS,
GRANDERSON,
Matsui,
Max Scherzer,
METS,
Sal Cipriano,
TIGERS,
WINTER MEETINGS,
YANKEES
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Did Seung already write the scathing column on Omar Minaya? Does he seriously think Jason Marquis and Bengie Molina will get him within 15 games of the Phillies? Their options as I see it are a) Roy Halladay or John Lackey, and b) ritual disembowelment.
No column on Omar yet, but I can't wait to read it! Halladay to the Mets is very problematic on so many fronts, but Lackey can be had, if they suck it up and just pay the man.
Post a Comment