Roy Halladay has given the Blue Jays a deadline: trade him by Spring Training, or it isn't happening. Threatening to invoke his No Trade Clause to any proposed deal after this date, the Toronto Ace has really turned up the heat on GM Alex Anthopoulos to get something done or risk losing Halladay for just a draft pick next year, which may derail the new GM completely. No, the best route is to get something done now, and maximize your return. That said, I'm on the fence about Halladay going about this the way he has.
While I understand that last year he was dangled at the trade deadline with imminent destination possibilities, only to be left out to dry must have been frustrating, I just feel like there has to be a line of respect shown for your team. Halladay's job is to pitch, distractions or not, and not to undermine management. Don't get me wrong, for the most part professional sports really don't work that way. Most players feel completely free to run their mouths at the team's expense. I'm not really saying that Halladay is being quite like this, but because of that, I'm not shocked he's come out and delivered his ultimatum. Again, there's the line in the sand that former GM J.P. Ricciardi drew up in July by putting the Doctor through that to begin with, so he's not really at fault either. You can also argue that by doing this he's trying to take away the obvious cloud that would linger over the entire Jays locker room the whole season. So maybe it is a maneuver for the team as well.
While, that all sounds contradictory, it's hard not see it both ways. The best course of action is for Anthopoulos to just take his time and make the right deal. Spring training is still a while away, and Halladay is in demand. As I've outlined here before, both the Red Sox and Yankees have the right pieces, as I'm sure, if willing, the Angels and Phillies do as well.
As for Mauer, according to his camp, the rumor of his asking to be extended by Spring Training or it isn't happening appears false. It doesn't seem like Mauer's way, and he does want to stay, so the story doesn't jive anyway. The Twins would be absolutely insane not to get this done with now, so the story can become a nonstory. If Mauer does hit free agency all hell will break loose. Cats and Dogs living together. Mass Hysteria. Get this done, Twinkies!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment