The Yankees have just signed Randy Winn, effectively and finally ending Johnny Damon's run in pinstripes. While I feel a bit sad that the two sides couldn't get together, I'm glad the lid is closed. It's been carrying on all winter, and the endless amount of speculation was exhausting. I don't even think Winn is the best choice, I'd rather have Rocco Baldelli or even Reed Johnson, honestly, but I'm just glad the roster, on the surface, may be done. Now, for all we know Winn could just be a bench choice as his play last year doesn't really warrant much more, but in a platoon with Brett Gardner he may be OK.
Let's get back to Damon, though, a player I've always liked, yes, even when he was pesky and killed the Yanks with Boston. Johnny was a solid player, and when he came to the Yankees, I thought it was a perfect marriage. Although he lost his center-field job within his first two years, he still was outstanding on offense. His stats during his four-year-run here were spot on, with '09 being his absolute best. The combo of the new Yankee Stadium and his switching in the order with Jeter spurred this on. (I'm sure being in his walk year didn't hurt neither!) He also gave us one fantastic World Series memory that will go down in Yankee history, and forever haunt Brad Lidge and Phillies fans. Like Matsui before him, it was a fitting end to his life in pinstripes, and he got another ring, so all-in-all a great 4 years..
Unlike Matsui, though, he lingered too long in free agency, and is still there now. Matsui signed with the Angels rather quickly, starting his next chapter happily, while Damon allowed his super-agent Scott Boras to pass up a two-year offer from the Yankees for 14 million! It amazes me that such disillusions can exist in this economy. Despite his numbers, he is 36 years old and his outfield play has diminished pretty far. He limped out of Game 6 of the World Series, and would've been out of Game 7!
Now the Yankees have moved on, and Damon will have to also. (maybe as a DH in Tampa) He played a game with Brian Cashman and the Yankees and their very real budget, and lost. Even the Yankees have their limits, and so they should. I love that free agents think that the Yankees should pay more just because they are the richest franchise in baseball. Playing for them is a privilege, folks, and I hope this serves as a lesson to everyone else. Yes, I know that screams snobby Yankee fan, but you tell me of a more prestigious franchise in all of sports and then we can talk otherwise!
As for their signing, again I thought there were better options, although Baldelli can still be brought in on a minor-league deal. Winn is going to look to play more, and if he out-plays Brett Gardner or any other choice, then fine, but I'm not a fan right now. His '09 season was terrible and he's aging himself. Maybe he'll turn that around, and change my opinion. Still, I'd like Gardner to get the most at-bats, but whoever helps the team more, I'll be on-board with.
To sum up everything: Damon, you'll be missed here, sorry, and good luck. Winn, prove me wrong. Gardner, kick his butt. Carl Crawford, we'll see you next year in left.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
GOODBYE, JOHNNY!
Labels:
carl crawford,
CASHMAN,
Damon,
FREE AGENTS,
JETER,
Matsui,
Rays,
RED SOX,
Sal Cipriano,
scott boras,
winn,
YANKEES
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.
Well I to but I dream the list inform should secure more info then it has.
Post a Comment